Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Military Money

I keep finding cool things in these WWII letters from overseas! This is from one of my great-uncles, who was stationed in Seoul, Korea for a time. He is paying my grandpa back for a care package full of things that he requested be sent, but since he didn't have "real" money, he sent this....


I assume this was a joke between my grandfather and my great-uncle, judging by the amount of underlining and "ha-ha's" written in the margin. I wonder what was in the package that he sent? Hmmm...things like that drive me crazy!

Anyway, I thought this would be a good post, since Patrick was just talking about his military play-money pogs in a post for Off Somewhere. It looks like this isn't a new idea, although the pog aspect might be.

But how weird would it be to carry around a bill for 5 cents?

3 Comments:

Blogger FDR said...

maybe it was to pay him back for the genuine horse shit cigarettes

October 11, 2006 5:31 AM  
Blogger Snowman said...

Don't you mean 5 cent?

October 11, 2006 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Qatar they don't even have change. A 1 reyal note is as low as it gets. I think in the old days they called the funny money "scrip".

October 11, 2006 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home