Monday, September 25, 2006

December 7, 1941

This is the first of many photographs of newspaper front pages that my grandfather took during the war. This is technically the second page of a paper from the attack on Pearl Harbor by the "Japs". I am looking hard for the front page picture, which I will post if I find. I am going to post the rest of the paper photographs in (more or less) chronological order, so stay tuned!

I heard that a lot of these papers are available for viewing online, but I thought I would post my photos anyway, just cause I want to. What I think it great is that my grandpa thought far enough ahead and took pictures of the papers instead of just trying to save the paper. Almost all of the few actual newspapers he saved have long since decayed to dust. In fact, all the newspapers from the 1940's are very hard to find in good condition. Apparently it is easier to find a paper from the 1800's than the 1940's; the printers in 1800's used paper with more cotton and linen and it held up better! Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Snowman said...

I fondly remember seeing a political cartoon, or war bonds cartoon my social studies teacher showed me. It said "Slap them dirty japs." Ahhh..the wonderful days of political incorrectness.

September 25, 2006 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Times haven't really changed at all, we just don't print what is being said. If Trey Parker and Matt Stone got royalties for everytime an American in the middle east refered to the locals as anything with the word Durka Durka, well I guess they'd just be richer. You get my point.

September 25, 2006 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home